Did you know that the use of seat belts and car seats is noted as saving over a million lives and widely considered one of the most cost-effective public health interventions? It’s true! And that’s why ensuring all families in Essex County have properly fitting car seats is at the heart of our injury prevention program.
Essex County Health Department has certified car seat technicians who can check to see if your child’s car seat is installed properly and securely. This service is available to everyone regardless of income!
Car seats are also available at no cost to low-income and other qualifying families that meet criteria after a car seat fitting. To schedule an appointment or for further questions call (518) 873-3500.
NYS Car Seat Laws by Ages
Child safety seats and child restraint systems are required in New York State – it’s the law.
• All children under the age of 2 must ride in a rear-facing car seat
• All children under the age of 4 ride in child safety seats
• All children ride in child restraint systems until their 8th birthday.
Check out the Safe Kids Ultimate Car Seats Guide for a personalized fit!
Other Injury Prevention Activities
Bike Helmets – We are a member of Safe Kids Adirondack, a network of community based organizations targeting youth safety in Essex and Clinton Counties. Through this network we offer bike/multi-sport helmets to youth. Call (518) 873-3500 for more information.
Senior Health & Fall Prevention – We conduct outreach on senior health and fall prevention with senior nutrition site participants.
24 hours a day? 365 days a year – available to both health care professionals and the general public.
- Poison Emergency Telephone Management
- Poison Information Resources
- Public Education
- Professional Education
- Research and Data Collection
Every caller receives professional expert service.
- Calls are answered by Specialists in Poison Information (SPIs), registered nurses and pharmacists trained in toxicology
- Specialists provide the most efficient and up-to-date poison information available
- Physicians and toxicologists are on-call 24 hours a day for consultation purposes
- Other specialists are available for consultation
Our Required Activities
As a local health department we must conduct an injury prevention program that promotes public awareness, community education, and other prevention-focused best-practices.