Lead testing should be done on:
- All children by their 1st birthday and again when they are 2 years of age;
- Children attending preschool and child care programs; &
- Pregnant women.
If not detected early, children with high lead levels in their bodies can suffer from mental, physical, developmental and behavioral changes and delays including lower IQ, kidney damage, hearing loss, growth problems and anemia.
Lead testing is available through your pediatrician or doctor. We also provide lead screening at our immunization and some WIC clinics. Call 873-3500 for an appointment and more information.
Endyne Inc., will test your water for lead for free! Simply contact their Plattsburgh Office at Hours: Mon-Fri, 8-4:30 Phone: (518) 563-1720
About Lead Poisoning
Lead-based paint and lead contaminated dust are the most likely sources of lead exposure for our children. Houses built before 1978 are likely to have some lead-based paint. The deterioration of this paint into chips or dust that are ingested (swallowed) or inhaled (breathed in) by children puts them at risk for lead poisoning.
Children under 6 years of age are at increased risk because they are growing so rapidly and most likely to put things in their mouths as they explore their world.
Lead poisoning can happen without any obvious symptoms. But some people with lead poisoning experience:
- Muscle and joint weakness and pain;
- Excessive tiredness;
- Loss of appetite, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting & constipation; and
- Metallic taste in mouth.
Cornell Cooperative Extension 8487 U.S. Route 9, Lewis NY 12950, Phone Number 518-962-4810. They will perform Lead testing on soil samples for $12.
Our Required Activities
As a local health department we are required to conduct a lead poisoning prevention program to prevent & reduce elevated blood lead levels in children and pregnant women by:
- identifying & targeting prevention activities at locations where lead poisoning may occur;
- educating the community about the dangers of lead toxicity;
- providing or arranging lead screening for children;
- providing followup as needed for children with elevated blood lead levels.