Essex County Hazardous Materials and Weapons of Mass Destruction
About the HazMat/WMD Team
The Essex County Office of Emergency Services HazMat/WMD Team assists local response agencies Fire/Police and EMS with response and recovery for incidents involving hazardous materials or WMD in Essex County.
Our HazMat/WMD Response Team also functions as part of a large Regional HazMat/WMD Response Consortium with Clinton, Franklin, Hamilton, St. Lawrence, Washington and Warren Counties.
- Provides technical and administrative support for HazMat/WMD issues to Fire, Police and EMS agencies.
- Maintains an inventory of PPE, Decontamination, metering and containment equipment and supplies for use during response within our county and region.
- Administers training programs and conducts exercises relative to HazMat/WMD for team members as well as all local first responders.
- Maintains fit testing equipment for use by team members and first response partners in order to maintain compliance with OSHA standards.
- Administers County CEMP annex for HazMat/WMD response.
- Serves as information resource to governmental and local agencies regarding Hazardous Materials response.