The world-famous, picturesque mountain village of Lake Placid, nestled in the scenic High Peaks of the Adirondacks and the shores of Mirror Lake, is the proud site of legendary performances in two Winter Olympics. The Lake Placid / Wilmington region offers year-round activities at Whiteface Mountain and other Olympic venues. Hike in the highest peaks and vast pristine forests of the Adirondacks, or take your canoe and fishing pole to numerous ponds, lakes, and rivers. Go boating on Lake Placid, relax in the lakeside towns along Lake Champlain or Schroon Lake, or explore the Ausable Chasm. Enjoy the annual competitions as a spectator (or participant): the Lake Placid Horse Shows, the Iron Man Lake Placid, and the Adirondack Marathon Distance Festival. Visit the many local farms, farm stores and farmers’ markets available throughout Essex County. Learn all about local food offerings and what farmers have to offer at Adirondack Harvest.
The County offers many more seasonal and year-round recreational and cultural activities.
Essex County was also the site of numerous historic and strategic military conflicts in the French and Indian and Revolutionary Wars, many of which occurred in and around Fort Ticonderoga and the Crown Point State Historic Site. French and Indian War Reenactment photos and a courtesy of Don Markwica.
Other tourist sites include the John Brown Farm State Historic Site in North Elba; the 1812 Homestead Farm and Museum in Willsboro; the Lake Placid / North Elba Historical Society Museum; the Adirondack History Center Museum in Elizabethtown; Ironville’s Penfield Museum in Crown Point; the Iron Center in the lakeside village of Port Henry, home of the legendary Champ; the historic architecture of the charming and peaceful lakeside hamlet of Essex; the covered bridge in Jay; and Wilmington’s High Falls Gorge and family favorite Santa’s Workshop. Enjoy our County’s spectacular scenery from the public bus system, river boat rides at Ausable Chasm, a gondola ride at Whiteface Mountain, the Lake Champlain Ferries, boat tours of beautiful Lake Placid, and breath-taking views from the top of Whiteface Veterans Memorial Highway.
Enjoy a Scenic Slide Show by Essex County Amateur Photographers. Essex County offers some of the most beautiful scenery and outdoor recreation in the Adirondacks and New York State.
Please note: many of these attractions are seasonal. Please visit the links for more information.
- Adirondack Hub (Schroon Lake, North Hudson, Newcomb, Minerva)
- Lake Champlain Region
- Lake Placid / High Peaks Region
- Whiteface Region (Wilmington, Jay)
- Port Henry / Moriah
- Saranac Lake
- The Schroon Lake Association
- Westport Chamber of Commerce
Scenic tours / outdoor recreation:
- Essex County Fish Hatchery
- Adirondack Interpretive Center
- Ausable Chasm
- High Falls Gorge
- Lake Champlain Ferries
- Scenic Flights
- Snowmobile clubs
- Whiteface Mountain Ski Center
Historic sites / museums:
- Fort Ticonderoga
- Adirondack History Center Museum
- Crown Point State Historic Site
- John Brown Farm State Historic Site
- Lake Placid / North Elba Historical Society/Museum
- North Star Underground Railroad Museum
- Olympic Museum
- Penfield Museum
Performing Arts / Visual Arts / Film:
- Essex County Arts Council
- Adirondack History Center Museum
- Champlain Valley Film Society
- The Depot Theatre
- Jay Entertainment and Music Society
- Lake Placid Center for the Arts
- Lake Placid Sinfonietta
- Meadowmount School of Music
- Schroon Lake Arts Council
- Seagle Colony
- Ticonderoga Festival Guild